Sunday, December 15, 2013

spinach and mushroom bread-sagna

so I got this recipe from a Rachel Ray cook book- but Rachel obviously has much more time, and a fancier grocery store near by.
        I honestly didn't even know what half of her ingredients meant- I'm trying to feed a 6 foot 2 inch 200 lbs man, and myself, not the queen of England.  so I took her recipe, and I made it fit a normal human being, who doesn't even know what "fontina val d'aosta" or "cremini" is.
(plus I'm pretty sure my local Commissary just doesn't carry such things.)


Last week, I didn't do any weekend meal preparation, and we ended up eating delivered pizza 3 days. Seriously I can't be the only one who gets off work at 6pm and the very last thing I want to do is go to the grocery store and then cook a meal- when I get off work I want a glass of wine a TV and a comfy couch.

So in order to order less often, I'm trying to cook my whole weeks worth of food today!

Spinach and mushroom bread-sagna
(get it? lasagna but with bread??)
1/4 C. olive oil
1 package of fresh mushrooms
2. T fresh thyme
4 cloves of garlic - chopped
salt and pepper
1/4 C chicken stock
1 lbs spinach
2 C half and half
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons butter (I actually left the butter out and used PAM)
bread- sliced 1 inch thick
1 1/2 C Italian style cheese 


in a skillet heat the olive oil, add the mushrooms and cook until dark, add the thyme garlic and add salt and pepper to taste. add the chicken stock and spinach.  remove from heat.









In a medium sized mixing bowl add the half and half and whisk in the eggs.  Soak the bead in the mixture. add butter or spray Pam to the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish. layer the bread then the spinach mixture, half of the cheese, add another layer of bread and then top off with remaining cheese.  




bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.


So I'm going to be totally honest, I'm not really a huge fan of cooked spinach, unless its pretty well hidden (oddly enough, fresh spinach is one of my favorite foods) so I wasn't a huge fan of this meal, however Eric loved it, and I love the concept of this meal.  Maybe doing it with regular lasagna flavors could be a nearly brilliant idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment