Monday, December 15, 2014

copycat popeyes chicken


When I was pregnant, one day I had a major craving for just about everything deep fried.  I decided to go buy a fry daddy, and by the time I got home, the idea of anything fried made me want to vomit... so I finally decided to pull out the ol fry daddy and fire it up for the first time.  Is fried chicken healthy? no, but hey, sometimes you have to splurge, and this is just the recipe to splurge on!

Copy Cat Popeyes Chicken
4 chicken breasts- trim the fat, and slice into chunks
1/3 cup of your favorite hot sauce (I recommend franks or Sriracha)
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
salt (I recommend about a teaspoon, but add to your own taste)
2 large egg whites
as much vegetable oil as you need to fry

Toss the chicken chunks into a gallon zip lock bag.  In a small bowl  combine buttermilk and hot sauce.  Pour half of the buttermilk/sauce into the zip lock bag, and save the other half in the fridge.  allow the chicken to marinate in the bag for at least 30 minutes. 

In a large bowl, mix, flour, cornstarch, salt and the remaining buttermilk/hot sauce mixture. combine until it is a sand consistency. 

in a small bowl whisk egg whites.

take 1 chicken chunk at a time, and dip it in the eggs, then cover it in the flour mixture. and place them on a wire rack in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

heat oil to a medium high heat, and cook for 8 minutes in a deep fryer, in a skillet with oil, just cook for about 4 minutes on each side.  


No comments:

Post a Comment